Thursday, June 3, 2010

RIP, Rue McClanahan (1934-2010)


I heard on the news that Rue McClanahan passed away this morning after a massive stroke.

The Golden Girls is my favorite show. It's a slap in the face of ageism; where else on TV do you see women their age playing something other than someone's grandmother?

In 2008, Estelle Getty--who portrayed sassy Sophia on the show--died. When The Golden Girls premiered in 1985, Getty was only in her early sixties. As Sophia though, she got to live it up well into her eighties. So it made me really sad to hear that at eighty-four, she died after a battle with dementia, of all things.

I find McClanahan's death just as ironic as Getty's. She was over a decade younger than her costars (including Betty White, who just last month, hosted SNL at the age of 88).

I am going to spend the rest of the day watching reruns of The Golden Girls and eating cheesecake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers