Friday, April 29, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 3

No, really, I'm not slacking off already. But Blogger was in a bad mood yesterday and ate what I wrote, so I had to redo it today. Mregh.

Your views on drugs and alcohol.


I spent my high school years hanging out with people who smoked a lot of pot. And yesterday my dad told me that he thinks I drink too much.

But it's a lot more complicated than it looks, because I've also sort of been on this lifelong health food kick. So that definitely has an effect on the substances I put into (or don't put into) my body.

Caffeine is, apparently, a drug. I'm drinking coffee right now. I consume anywhere from two cups to two pots of the stuff daily and think nothing of it. It's delicious and keeps me awake. I openly admit that I caffeinate myself to excess and have no plans to cut back.

Coffee goes nicely with cigarettes. But I don't smoke cigarettes. I'm the only member of my immediate family who doesn't, actually.

My reasons for not smoking usually surprise people. Smoking is terrible for you, so everyone assumes that I, of all people, would jump on that and cite it as my main reason for not smoking. But no.

I love smoking. And given that I've spent my entire life around second-hand smoke, I'm fairly certain that my lungs are fucked whether or not I choose to take up the habit.

But I don't because it's just really inconvenient to be a smoker. There's a smoking ban in Michigan. And it snows here. I've ventured into the cold to keep my friends company while they smoke a cigarette. And in say, February, it's not fun. If I could be a seasonal smoker, I would. But unfortunately there's this problem of a nicotine addiction. So I just don't bother.

Also, cigarettes are pricey. I'd rather spend my money on books and cans of chick peas.

Now, pot. I've recently come to the conclusion that I don't like it all that much. Either that, or a bad experience I had with a pan of particularly strong "special brownies" back in December left me lacking the desire to go anywhere near the stuff again.

But I get that it does a lot of good for a lot of people. I just happen to not be one of those people. So, you do your thang, grrl.

As for booze: When my dad told me that I drink too much, I think he really meant that I drink too often. (I need a beer a day to stay sane, man.) But I do I have a history of alcoholism in my family; I've seen it do some pretty terrible shit to people I love. So because of that there are certain drinks I just won't touch (whiskey's a big one).

Based on the experiences I've shared, I think you can figure out what my views on it are. I have my reasons (however weird) for doing what I do. You have yours. Just please don't hurt anyone.

Let's be friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers